ARTHELPS "Morro do Papagaio"
From favela to wardrobe.
Creativity that liberates: With support from Arthelps, children from a Brazilian favela design their own t-shirts. This creates self-confidence – and has paved the way for a college to be established in the favela.
The task: Taking “Parrot Hill” to the world.
Arthelps, Tom Lupo in particular, got off to a great start: He spent two weeks in the favela and designed t-shirts together with the children. The question is, why? What was the project trying to achieve? How did it help the children?
A project like this is complex, so Arthelps needed a film that would explain the background and aims in a short and snappy way, as well as answering other important questions, so as many people as possible would support the project and buy the t-shirts.
The solution: Pedro and his friends.
Simple materials and a load of creativity. That’s all you need to make a big difference. That’s how the t-shirts were made and the same goes for our film. We wanted to give the kids from the favela a face and show why the project is so important for them, as well as show how they benefit from it.
Job done: Two years of education.
The project has been a total success: Profits from t-shirt sales are enough to keep the college in the favela running for a full two years. Admittedly, it was probably the t-shirts themselves that did most of the persuading, but the project is further proof that good design can change the world.
In the studio we had:
- 2 hens with highly differing personalities.
- 2 parrots, one of which stubbed its beak (he’s going to be fine).
- In real life, Pedro’s actually called Gabriel and Gabriel, Pedro.
- Arthelps has now raised more than €30,000 for the favela.
- Naturally, the film is available in English and Spanish.
- Projekt von: ARTHELPS
- Text: Tassilo Gutscher, ARTHELPS
- Konzept, Regie und Produktion: Studio Flox
- DP Favela: Lukas Augustin
- DP Studio: Florian Haßler
- Shirt Photographie: Julia Werner
- Stopmotion: Nica Herrmann, Florian Haßler
- Motiondesign: Marc Böttler
- VFX: Hartmut Ulmer
- Sounddesign: Gerd Böttler
- Tiertrainerin und Papageienfrau: Diana Sandvoss
- Huhn zur Verfügung gestellt von: Philipp Galley
- Danke an Fabian Oswald